Zucchini gives a different spin to this Mediterranean dip traditionally made with eggplant. Serve the dip as part of a mezze platter, alongside pita, crudite and olives.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
- 5 medium zucchini (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 small clove garlic, minced (1/2 teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest plus 1 tablespoon juice, plus more zest for serving
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
Broil zucchini about 6 inches from heat source, turning occasionally, until completely blackened, 25 to 30 minutes. Scoop out flesh (discard skins), and drain over a fine mesh sieve, pressing to release liquid, about 10 minutes. Pulse flesh in food processor with garlic, tahini, lemon zest and juice, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Season with pepper. With machine running, slowly stream in oil. Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. Serve, drizzled with oil and sprinkled with more zest and freshly ground pepper.