This garlicky spread is made with grilled eggplant; serve it with pita bread.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 4 cups
Source: Everyday Food, 2005
- 3 pounds eggplants (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup tahini (well stirred)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for serving (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley, for serving (optional)
- Kalamata (or other) olives, for serving (optional)
Heat grill to high. Pierce eggplants several times with a sharp knife. Place on grill. Cover; cook, turning occasionally, until blackened all over and flesh is very soft, 20 to 30 minutes. When cool enough to handle, halve lengthwise. Scrape flesh into a colander (discard skins); let drain.
Process tahini, lemon juice, garlic, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a food processor until smooth. Add eggplant; process until smooth.
Transfer mixture to a serving dish. If desired, drizzle with oil, and garnish with parsley or olives.