Seedless cucumbers often have small seeds; remove them for this recipe. Do not rinse the noodles after cooking; it will make them stick.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 1996
- 3 stalks celery, trimmed
- 4 carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 1 8.8 ounce bag cellophane noodles (available at gourmet supermarkets and Asian markets)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons rice-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Szechuan hot-bean paste
- 1 seedless cucumber (1 pound), skin on, any seeds removed, julienned
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil, or more to taste
Thinly slice celery and carrots diagonally.
Soak noodles in cool water for 1 hour. Cut into 5-inch lengths with kitchen shears. Cook in boiling water until clear, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain (don't rinse). Place in a bowl.
Add celery, carrots, and salt. Toss with tongs for 2 to 3 minutes. Add vinegar and bean paste; toss. When cool, toss in cucumbers and oil. Serve at room temperature.