Crunchy Vegetable Snack Mix
Paprika, cumin, cayenne or wasabi add some spice to this no-fat snack.
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 1996
- Carrots, peeled and trimmed
- Potatoes (all varieties, including sweet potatoes), washed, not peeled
- Turnips, trimmed, not peeled
- Celery root, peeled
- Leeks, washed and trimmed to 5 inches
- Seasonings, such as coarse salt, cayenne, cumin, paprika, and wasabi powder
- Bell peppers, sliced into thin strips
- Pumpkin seeds
- Canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Frozen green peas, thawed
- Sage and rosemary, leaves separated
- Sprouts, such as mung bean, lentil, mixed crunchy, and wheat
Slice carrots, potatoes, and turnips, paper thin, lengthwise or widthwise, on a mandoline. Slice celery root and leeks, lengthwise. Re-rinse leeks.
Working with one kind of vegetable at a time, arrange on a double layer of paper towel placing pieces close together but not touching. Sprinkle with seasoning, if desired.
Microwave vegetables on high; the following are approximate times. Carrots and bell peppers: 2 minutes, turn, 2 more minutes. Sweet potatoes, turnips, celery: 2 minutes, turn, 1 1/2 more minutes. Potatoes: 1 1/2 minutes, turn, 1 1/2 more minutes. Leeks: 1 1/2 minutes, turn, 1 more minute. Pumpkin seeds: 8 to 9 minutes, turning every 3 minutes. Chickpeas and green peas: 8 to 10 minutes, turning every 3 minutes. Sage, rosemary, chives: 1 minute, turn, 1 more minute. Sprouts: 6 to 8 minutes, turning every 3 minutes.
Let cool before eating. Store in airtight containers for up to 3 days; keep green peas in an open container and eat within 2 days.