Lima Beans with Roasted Artichoke Hearts
This is a delicious salad featuring capers and a sherry vinaigrette.
- Servings: 6
Photography: AMY NEUNSINGER
Source: Whole Living, November 2012
- 1 pound dried lima beans, soaked overnight
- 1 small onion, halved
- 1 stalk celery, halved
- 1 carrot, halved
- Coarse salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 30 ounces jarred water-packed artichoke hearts, drained, patted dry, and halved
- 2 tablespoons salt-packed small capers, soaked and drained
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Red pepper flakes
Cover beans, onion, celery, and carrot with water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until tender but not falling apart, 35 to 40 minutes. Season with salt. Drain; discard vegetables. In a large bowl, toss beans with 1/4 cup oil and the vinegar. Let cool slightly.
Meanwhile, heat oven to 450 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss artichoke hearts with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Roast, flipping once, until golden brown and crisp, 15 to 20 minutes.
Add to beans with capers and parsley. Season with salt and pepper flakes and drizzle with oil. Serve warm or at room temperature.