Brown-Butter Coconut Cashew Blondies
The dark, nutty butter gives these squares a deeper, richer flavor. Martha made this recipe on Martha Bakes episode 609.
- Yield: Makes about 1 dozen
Photography: Mike Krautter
Source: Martha Bakes
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 2 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 cup whole cashews, toasted
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking pan, and line with parchment paper. Butter and flour parchment paper.
Cook butter in a saucepan over medium heat until it turns golden-brown; remove from heat, transfer to a large bowl and let cool. Add sugars and stir until combined. Add eggs and vanilla; beat to combine. Add flour, baking powder, salt, cashews, and coconut. Mix until thoroughly combined, and transfer to prepared pan.
Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center just comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes (do not over bake). Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before turning out of pan onto a cutting board. Peel off parchment paper; cut blondies into 3-inch squares.