These savory crackers look like they could pass for cookies. The cayenne provides a little bite.
- Yield: Makes 16
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 1997
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 cup finely ground pecans, toasted (2 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut up
- 1/4 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Kosher salt for sprinkling
Heat oven to 350 degrees. In food processor, pulse flour, pecans, table salt, black pepper, and cayenne. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cheese; pulse until pieces are no longer visible. With machine running, gradually add 2 tablespoons cold water; process until dough comes together.
Transfer to a lightly floured surface; divide dough into 2 equal parts. Roll out each into a 1/4-inch thickness. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
Cut dough into 2 1/2-inch flower shapes, or other desired shape; transfer to ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, until centers are firm to the touch. Cool on wire rack. Store in airtight plastic container.