Curried Parchment Bread
These crackers take on amorphous shapes so don't expect a neat little square or circle.
- Yield: Makes 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 1997
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger (1/2 ounce)
- 1 cup minced onion (5 1/2 ounces)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon solid vegetable shortening
Heat oven to 325 degrees. Warm butter in saute pan over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger, and onion; cook until very fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir in spices and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste; cook for 30 seconds. Remove from heat; allow to cool.
In a food processor, pulse flour and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add shortening; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. With machine running, gradually add 5 tablespoons of spice mixture; process until the dough comes together.
Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface; divide into four equal parts. Roll out dough as thinly as possible into a 9 1/2-by-11-inch rectangle. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet; bake for 10 minutes. Turn, and bake an additional 5 minutes, until firm. Transfer to wire rack to cool. Store in airtight plastic container.