Mixed Herb Swatches
These crackers are can go from raw ingredients to finished product in 12 minutes and devoured in even less time.
- Yield: Makes 28
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 1997
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut up
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Kosher salt for sprinkling
Heat oven to 325 degrees. In a food processor, pulse flour, table salt, pepper, and herbs. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. With machine running, add sour cream; process until dough comes together.
Transfer to a lightly floured surface; divide into two equal parts. Roll out into 10-by-12- inch sheets, 1/8 of an inch thick. Sprinkle with kosher salt; roll to gently press salt into dough.
Using crimping wheel or fluted square cookie cutter, cut dough into 2 1/2-inch swatches; transfer to ungreased baking sheet. Pierce swatches liberally with a fork. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, until swatches are just brown and feel firm to the touch. Transfer to wire rack. Store in airtight plastic container.