Sauteed Pears with Mixed Greens
Pears are sauteed, then served over mixed greens tossed with a champagne vinaigrette.
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 1997
- 2 tablespoons champagne or white-wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 firm pears, peeled, cored, and cut lengthwise into 1-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons Calvados or cider
- 1 1/4 pounds mixed salad greens
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- Olive-oil cooking spray
In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Whisk in oil; combine well. Set aside.
Spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Add the pear slices, in batches if needed; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Saute slices over medium-high heat until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, turn pears over, and cook until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add Calvados, and cook, until liquid has reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat, and set aside.
To serve, toss the salad greens with the prepared vinaigrette. Place on serving plates, arrange pears on top of greens, and drizzle any collected juices from the pan over the pears. Garnish with the dried cranberries.