Flavored Butters for Corn
Add grilled corn on the cob to the menu for your next backyard cookout.
- Yield: Makes 1/2 pound each herb, chile, and curry butter
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 1997
- 1 ounce mixed green herbs, such as tarragon, chives, basil, and parsley
- Bowl of ice water
- 1 1/2 pounds unsalted butter, room temperature
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground chile powders, such as arbol, ancho, or New Mexico
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch the herbs; transfer to bowl of ice water to stop cooking. Squeeze excess water from herbs; mince with a sharp knife. Transfer herbs to the bowl of a food processor, add 1/2 pound butter, process until well combined and butter is green; season to taste. Transfer herb butter to plastic wrap, and refrigerate or freeze until needed.
Divide the remaining pound of butter between two bowls. Add the chile powders to one bowl. Combine thoroughly with a rubber spatula; season to taste. Transfer to plastic wrap, and refrigerate or freeze until needed. Repeat with curry powder.