Bell peppers are cooked down and accented with fresh basil and olives.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July/August 1997
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 large red onions, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch rings
- 6 sweet bell peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch-thick strips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and torn in half
- 10 fresh basil leaves
Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add whole garlic cloves; gently cook over low heat until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Add onions; cook over medium-low heat, turning often, until they soften, about 5 minutes.
Add bell peppers, salt, pepper, and rosemary to skillet; stir to coat with oil, and cook, covered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, until peppers are soft and juices are released, 30 to 35 minutes. Stir in vinegar and olives. Cook 5 minutes. Just before serving, roughly tear basil leaves, reserving two for garnish. Stir in torn basil. Serve warm or at room temperature garnished with reserved basil.