Tuna Macaroni Salad
Soaking raw onions in cold water for 15 minutes helps mellow their flavor.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Photography: Mike Krautter
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni pasta
- 1/2 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 ribs celery, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (about 1 cup), plus 1/4 cup celery heart leaves
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded if desired, and finely chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 (5-ounce) can solid tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise, preferably Hellmann's
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dill relish
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
In a pot of boiling, salted water, cook pasta until al dente, 7 to 8 minutes. Drain, then transfer to large bowl to cool slightly.
While pasta cools, soak onion in cold water. Drain, then stir into pasta along with celery, celery leaves, jalapeno and tuna. Whisk together mayonnaise, buttermilk, lemon juice, relish and mustard. Toss with pasta mixture and season to taste. Refrigerate until cold, at least 30 minutes and up to 8 hours.