Slices of our Dried Tomatoes in Olive Oil and roasted-garlic mayonnaise intensify a classic BLT.
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 1998
- 1 small head garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, rosemary, or oregano
- 12 strips bacon, preferably thickly sliced and smoked or peppered
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 baguette, about 25 inches long
- 1 small head Bibb or Red Leaf lettuce
- 20 Dried Tomatoes in Olive Oil slices
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Rub entire head of garlic with olive oil. Place on aluminum foil, add herbs, and wrap tightly. Cook until cloves are soft, 25 to 35 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Working in batches, fry bacon in a heavy skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
Squeeze roasted garlic out of each clove onto a cutting board. Transfer soft garlic to a medium bowl; mash with a fork until smooth. Stir in mayonnaise, and set aside.
Slice baguette in half lengthwise. Spread each half with garlic mayonnaise. Arrange lettuce over bottom half. Top with bacon and tomatoes; season with salt and pepper. Close with top half of baguette; cut into thirds.