Smoked Salmon and Caramelized Onion Stuffed Celery Stalks
These crunchy hors d'oeuvres will be the hit of any holiday party.
- Servings: 12
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December/January 1999/2000
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 8 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 5 tablespoons white horseradish, squeezed of liquid
- 5 ounces smoked salmon
- 1 tablespoon finely snipped fresh dill, plus small tips for garnish
- 9 ribs celery, strings removed, cut into 2-inch lengths
In a saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion slices; reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. Add sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
In a medium bowl combine cream cheese and horseradish; divide mixture between 2 bowls. Coarsely chop one-quarter of the salmon, add to half the cheese mixture; add dill, and mix. Cut remaining salmon into thin slivers; set aside. Fill half the celery with mixture. Garnish each with a sliver of salmon and a dill tip or two. Fill remaining celery with remaining cheese mixture, garnish with reserved caramelized onions, and serve.