Autumn Field Greens with Spicy Pecans and Pomegranate Seeds
The spicy pecans in this recipe are also delicious served as an hors d'oeuvre.
- Servings: 12
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 1999
- 1/2 pound (2 1/3 cups) pecan halves
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cranberry juice or orange juice
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 pound mixed field greens
Heat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine pecan halves, sugar, vanilla, salt, black pepper, and red-pepper flakes. Toss together until pecans are well coated. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar starts to caramelize and pecans are toasted, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove tray from oven, and continue stirring occasionally while nuts are cooling. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together vinegar, cranberry juice, pomegranate seeds, and thyme. Slowly whisk in canola oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
In a large bowl, toss pecans, vinaigrette, and the greens, and serve.