Granola is a mixture of oats and flakes, flavored with brown sugar, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg and orange zest.
- Yield: Makes 1 pound
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 1999
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup soy flakes
- 1 cup wheat flakes
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 cup roughly chopped pecans
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup honey
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine oats, flakes, sugar, nuts, zest, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a bowl. Melt butter and honey in a saucepan; add to mixture. Spread in a 7-by-11-inch baking pan; bake until just golden, 10 minutes. Let cool in pan. Mixture will harden. Break into pieces; serve. Store in an airtight container up to 10 days.