Curried-Shrimp Skewers with Rice Salad
This dish plays with exotic and fragrant flavors like madras curry powder, cilantro, and mint for an easy, healthy meal that's a cinch to put together.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July/August 1999
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 lemons
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound (about 24) large shrimp
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, preferably madras
Heat grill until very hot. Place rice and 1 3/4 cups water in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, about 20 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes, fluff with a fork, and let cool.
Grate zest from 1 lemon into a large bowl; squeeze both lemons to yield 6 tablespoons juice. Add to the bowl, then add rice, mint, cilantro, parsley, 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper; toss to combine.
Leaving tails intact, peel and devein shrimp; transfer to a medium bowl. Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and curry powder. Toss until shrimp are well coated. Thread shrimp onto skewers, and place on hot grill. Cook until pink and opaque; serve over rice.