Quinoa and Green Bean Salad
Parsley spruces up this side salad of protein-rich quinoa and crunchy green beans.
- Servings: 10
Source: Body+Soul, July/August 2010
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1/4 cup for dressing
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed (cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper. Cook, stirring, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in quinoa and cook for 1 minute. Add water. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, until water is absorbed, about 16 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes; fluff with fork. Cool completely, about 25 minutes.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt and beans, cooking until bright green, about 4 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water.
Combine quinoa, green beans, and parsley. Dress with 1/4 cup olive oil, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper.