Turmeric Couscous With Grapes and Pine Nuts
This side dish of couscous gets a lot of flavor from lemon, garlic and olive oil and a crunch from grapes, cucumber, and pine nuts.
- Servings: 4
Photography: Maria Robledo
Source: Body+Soul, October 2005
- 2 green-tea bags
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh turmeric, minced, or 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup light olive oil
- 1 cup small seedless red grapes, halved
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 3/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup fresh basil shredded
In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add tea bags. Remove from heat and steep tea for 2 minutes. Remove and discard tea bags.
Add salt, turmeric, and couscous to pan. Stir and cover. Simmer over very low heat for 5 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add lemon juice, garlic, and oil; fluff with a fork. Let it cool a bit.
Stir in grapes and cucumber. Garnish with pine nuts and basil.