Grilled Vegetable Salad
Feel free to substitute vegetables according to what you have on hand.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2001
- 4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 eggplant (1 pound), sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in half, seeds removed
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut in half, seeds removed
- 1 green bell pepper, cut in half, seeds removed
- 1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 yellow summer squash, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 head radicchio, quartered lengthwise
- 2 endive, halved lengthwise
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
In a bowl combine 2 teaspoons coarse salt, pepper, and oregano; set aside.
Place sliced eggplant in a colander, and sprinkle both sides with remaining 2 teaspoons salt. Let sit 1 hour. Rinse quickly, and pat dry with paper towels; set aside.
Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Arrange eggplant, peppers, zucchini, squash, radicchio, endive, and onion on a large rimmed baking sheet. Brush with the olive oil; sprinkle with salt-oregano mixture. Toss gently until evenly coated. Grill in batches until tender and grill marks appear (times will vary with each vegetable). Transfer back to baking sheet; let sit until cool enough to handle. Cut into 1-inch pieces, and transfer to a bowl. Add parsley and thyme, and toss to combine. Season with additional salt mixture if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.