Tangy Sloppy Joes
Leftover brisket makes for a twist on the classic sloppy joe, a deliciously messy sandwich that's as kid-friendly as it is appealing to adults.
Photography: linda xiao
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2016
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, pureed
- 2 tablespoons dark-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups shredded Wine-Braised Brisket
- Toasted buns, for serving
- Thinly sliced red onion, for serving
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
In a skillet, heat oil over medium. Add onion and cook until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add tomato paste; stir 1 minute. Add pureed tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and 1 cup water. Simmer 10 minutes. Add brisket; toss to heat through. Serve on toasted buns, with sliced red onion and cilantro.