Herbed Spaghetti with Tomatoes and White Beans
Parsley and lightly cooked tomatoes add brightness to this classic Italian pairing of pasta and white beans.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Sharon Radisch
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2016
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups packed flat-leaf parsley leaves, plus more for serving
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, plus 1 teaspoon grated zest
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
- Freshly grated Parmesan, for serving
Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water until al dente, 9 to 10 minutes. Add beans during last minute of cooking. Drain and return to pot, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
Meanwhile, combine parsley, lemon juice and zest, and 1 tablespoon oil in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. In a large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high. Add garlic and red-pepper flakes; cook, stirring often, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add tomatoes, season with salt, and cook until tomatoes burst and thicken, adding a little pasta water until consistency is saucy.
Toss parsley mixture and remaining pasta water with pasta; season with salt and pepper. Serve, topped with tomato sauce and sprinkled with parsley and cheese.