White Confectioners' Sugar Icing
Use this recipe to decorate our White Sheet Cake.
- Yield: Makes enough for two 12-by-17-inch layers
Source: Martha Stewart Living, January 2002
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 3 one-pound boxes confectioners’ sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- 3 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk, plus more for thinning
Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until well combined. Add salt, vanilla, and milk, and beat until frosting is smooth and creamy. If icing seems too thick, add an additional tablespoon of milk. Use immediately, or refrigerate for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before frosting cake. Return to mixer until creamy if necessary.