This is great paired with poached Seckel pears dipped in caramel.
- Yield: Makes one 8-inch square or 16 individual cakes
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December/January 1992/1993
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup unsulfured molasses
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- Candied Ginger
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter square pan or 3-inch oval molds and set aside. Combine water with baking soda. Set aside. In a large bowl, sift together flour, spices, and baking powder. Set aside.
In another large bowl, cream butter. Add sugar and beat until fluffy. Beat in molasses and baking-soda mixture. Beat in flour mixture. Add eggs and beat well.
Pour batter into pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes for square pan, 25 to 30 minutes for molds (a toothpick inserted into center should come out clean). Cool on wire rack. To serve, dust with confectioners' sugar and top with whipped cream and a slice of Candied Ginger.