Fresh herbs are essential to this piquant condiment. It can be served with various meat or fish dishes.
- Yield: Makes about 3/4 cup
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 1992
- 3 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon capers
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
With a mortar and pestle, mash anchovies, garlic, and capers to a paste with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Stir in lemon juice and remaining olive oil. At this point, salsa can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.
When ready to serve, stir in chopped herbs and season with salt and pepper. Use within 2 hours.