Watermelon and Avocado Salad
Crisp watermelon and creamy avocado combine to make an unusual and appealing salad.
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June/July June/July 1994
- 1 small red onion, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 ripe Hass avocados
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 large watermelon (about 6 pounds)
- Juice of 1 orange
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cilantro sprigs, loosely packed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
In a small bowl, combine onion and vinegar. Marinate, covered, in refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
Cut avocados in half; remove pits and skin. Cut into 1-inch chunks and toss with the lime juice. Remove seeds from watermelon and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks.
Toss together watermelon, avocado, orange juice, olive oil, and cilantro sprigs, reserving some sprigs for garnish. Drain onion and add to salad; add salt and pepper to taste. Toss again and garnish with reserved cilantro.