Roasted Root Vegetables
Use any vegetables you like; add liquid as they cook to keep them slightly moistened.
- Servings: 10
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December/January 1992/1993
- 2-3 pounds assorted winter vegetables, such as carrots, turnips, rutabagas, parsnips, pearl onions, and potatoes
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, or to taste
- 1/4 cup chicken or veal stock, plus more as needed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Handful of chopped fresh herbs
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Scrub vegetables and peel as desired. Cut into 1-to-2-inch pieces (they should all be of similar size).
Place butter in a roasting pan and heat in oven until melted. Add vegetables, 1/4 cup of stock, and salt and pepper. Stir well to coat, and return to oven.
Cook vegetables for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally and adding more stock as needed to keep vegetables slightly moist. Vegetables are done when tender and golden brown. Stir in herbs and serve.