Nectarine Crumb Pie
Help a friend discover the joy of baking with a a gift that assembles all the tools and ingredients. A package for Nectarine Crumb Pie includes fruit, dough wrapped in waxed paper, a rolling pin, and a ceramic pie plate. Add a jar of crisp topping mixture and the recipe, and tie everything together in a kitchen towel.
- Yield: Makes one 9-inch pie
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August 1994
- Basic Piecrust, well chilled
- 2 tablespoons sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar, or to taste
- 12 ripe nectarines (about 4 pounds), peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup Crumb Topping
- Whipped cream, optional
Roll out dough to a thickness of 1/8 inch and use it to line a 9-inch pie tin; crimp edges decoratively. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Combine flour and sugar and toss with nectarines. Fill crust with the nectarines; dot with butter and sprinkle with lemon juice. Cover with Crumb Topping. Bake for about 50 minutes, until pastry and topping are golden brown, fruit is tender, and juice is bubbling. Let cool slightly before serving. Top with whipped cream, if desired.