- Yield: Makes about 8 dozen 3-inch cookies
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 1992
- 6 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups unsulfured molasses
- Royal Icing
In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Mix in spices and salt. Beat in eggs and molasses.
Add flour mixture; mix on low speed until thoroughly combined. Divide dough into thirds; wrap in plastic. Chill at least 1 hour.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. On a well-floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8 inch. Cut into desired shapes. Place on ungreased baking sheet and chill until firm, about 15 minutes. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until crisp but not darkened. Cool on wire racks and decorate with Royal Icing.