Homemade Garlic Pickles
These crunchy quick pickles are perfect on hot summer days.
- Yield: Makes 1 gallon
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June July 1992
- 5 pounds 3- to 5-inch-long firm Kirby pickling cucumbers
- 1/2 gallon plus 5 cups cold water
- 1 1/3 cups kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons mixed pickling spices, (available premixed in supermarkets)
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 large sprigs fresh dill
- 2 cups apple-cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Wash cucumbers well. Place in a glass or stainless-steel bowl. Combine 1/2 gallon water with 1 cup salt, and stir until salt is dissolved. Pour over cucumbers, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand overnight.
Drain and rinse cucumbers, discarding brine. Pack into a clean gallon jar along with pickling spices, garlic, and dill.
Combine remaining water and salt with vinegar and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and pour over cucumbers. Let cool. Cover jar; refrigerate until ready to serve.