Pumpkin Corn Bread
Canned pumpkin puree replaces most of the fat in this moist corn bread.
- Servings: 12
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 1995
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 medium jalapeno peppers
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels, coarsely chopped
- Nonstick vegetable-oil spray
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Mix together dry ingredients. Seed and mince 2 jalapenos; mince the third, including the seeds.
Whisk together eggs, oil, buttermilk, pumpkin, corn, and jalapenos. Add to dry ingredients; whisk to combine.
Spray an 8-by-11-inch baking pan with vegetable-oil spray. Pour in batter; bake for 20 to 25 minutes, rotating pan once halfway through. Cool on a wire rack.