Tomato and Corn Salad
This colorful salad is great for a summer party; make it early in the day and let the flavors develop.
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 1995
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (2 ears of corn)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 4 plum tomatoes (about 3/4 pound), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock, skimmed of fat
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add salt and corn; cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Roast yellow pepper directly over a gas flame or under the broiler, turning, until all sides are charred, about 8 minutes. Cool in a closed paper bag.
When cool enough to handle, peel charred skin from pepper, rinsing fingers as necessary. Remove and discard stem and seeds and cut pepper into 1/2-inch dice; place in a large bowl.
Add remaining ingredients to the roasted pepper and toss to combine. Serve immediately or refrigerate, covered, for up to 8 hours. Bring to room temperature before serving.