Tomato, Cucumber, and Barley Salad
Like Middle Eastern tabbouleh, this salad has a fresh, herby taste.
- Servings: 12
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 1995
- 3/4 cup barley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 large tomatoes (about 2 pounds), seeded and cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1 1/2 cucumbers (about 1 pound), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 celery stalks, peeled to remove strings and finely chopped
- 2 scallions, white part only, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup finely chopped mint
- 2 pinches cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Bring 5 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in barley and 1 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat to medium and cook until tender, about 35 minutes. Drain and rinse with cool water. Set aside.
Combine diced tomatoes and cucumbers in a large bowl. Add the barley, celery, scallions, parsley, mint, and cayenne pepper. Toss to combine and set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and freshly ground pepper; add to barley mixture. Toss to combine. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 8 hours.