Blackberry Pecan Brown Betty
This brown betty couldn't be simpler to make: Just toss together cubes of bread with butter, sugar, berries, and pecans, then bake until it's bubbly.
- Servings: 10
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 2000
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted, plus more for baking dish
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus more for baking dish
- 8 ounces white bread (8 slices), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cups blackberries (about 2 pints)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups whipped cream
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 1 1/2-quart loaf pan or baking dish, and sprinkle with sugar. Tap out the excess; set aside.
In a medium bowl, toss together the bread cubes with the butter until well combined. Add the blackberries, pecans, sugar, and lemon juice. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish. Generously sprinkle sugar on top, and cover with foil. Bake until bubbly, about 30 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees. Remove foil, and continue to bake until top is golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool for 10 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream.