Baby Carrots with Spring Onions
Baby carrots are glazed in a white-wine-and-butter sauce.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Photography: John Kernick
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2016
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 spring onions, trimmed, peeled, and halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 2 1/2 pounds baby carrots, trimmed and peeled
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- Fresh parsley leaves, for serving (optional)
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high. Add onions, cut-side down; cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add wine and cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits, until liquid is reduced to about 2 tablespoons, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter, 1/2 cup water, carrots, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, until carrots are just tender, about 12 minutes. Uncover; return onions to pan and simmer until liquid has evaporated and carrots are glazed and tender, 5 to 6 minutes more.
Add thyme; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a platter; serve, garnished with parsley.