Asparagus with Mustardy Vinaigrette
Thick asparagus spears arranged in an egg shape are topped with paper-thin cutout carrot bunnies.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Photography: John Kernick
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2016
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 pounds jumbo asparagus, trimmed and bottoms peeled
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch strips
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Prepare an ice-water bath. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add asparagus; blanch until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to ice bath; let cool, then drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Use 1-inch cookie or aspic cutters to shape carrot strips, then add to pot and blanch until crisp-tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to ice bath and let cool; drain on plate.
Whisk together vinegar and mustards; season with salt and pepper. Whisking continuously, add oil in a slow, steady stream.
Transfer asparagus to platter. Garnish with carrot cutouts. Serve, with vinaigrette on side.