Hoisin-and-Chili-Glazed Chicken Drumsticks with Slaw
For a finger lickin' good dinner, try these glazed drumsticks served with a crunchy Asian-accented slaw.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Sharon Radisch
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2016
- 8 chicken drumsticks (about 2 pounds)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili paste, such as sambal oelek
- 1/2 head napa cabbage, shredded (6 cups)
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and shredded (2 cups)
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for serving
- Steamed rice, for serving
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place chicken on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Stir together hoisin and chili paste; brush evenly over chicken. Bake until blackened and just cooked through, 40 to 45 minutes. Reserve juices that accumulate on baking sheet.
Meanwhile, combine cabbage, carrots, mushrooms, lime juice, oil, and cilantro in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper. Toss occasionally while chicken cooks. Serve chicken with reserved juices and more cilantro over rice, with slaw alongside.