Whole-Grain Buttermilk-Cumin Crackers
These crackers give you the opportunity to experiment with different shapes.
- Yield: Makes 60
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 1997
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut up
- 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk
- Kosher salt for sprinkling
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two baking sheets with cooking spray; set aside. In food processor, pulse flour, wheat germ, sunflower seeds, cumin, baking powder, baking soda, and table salt. Add butter, and process until mixture resembles coarse meal. With machine running, gradually add buttermilk; process until dough comes together and is moist.
Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface, and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Roll until 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick. Sprinkle with kosher salt; roll gently to press salt into dough.
Cut dough into 4-inch-long leaf shapes, or other desired shape, and transfer leaves to ungreased baking sheets. Pierce each cracker liberally with a fork. Bake until hard, about 16 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.