Nobu's New-Style Sashimi
Nobu's signature dish is sashimi that has been partially cooked by its hot-oil topping.
- Servings: 2
Source: Martha Stewart Living, May 1997
- 10 ounces boneless, skinless halibut or salmon fillet
- 1 tablespoon yuzu juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 scallion, cut into 32 two-inch-long strips
- 1 two-inch piece of ginger, cut into 1/8-inch strips
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
Using a very sharp knife, slice halibut as thinly as possible into thirty-two slices. Arrange sixteen slices on each of two plates to form a pinwheel shape.
Combine the yuzu juice, soy sauce, and garlic in a small bowl.
Place one scallion strip and one ginger strip on each slice of the fish, and sprinkle the sesame seeds over the top. In a small saucepan, heat the olive oil and sesame oil over medium heat until smoking hot. Drizzle 2 teaspoons of hot oil over each plate, and serve immediately.