Lemony Green-Pea Snack
This bright snack makes the most of fresh green peas.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, May 1997
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 1 lemon, cut into eight wedges
- 4 cups (10 ounces) fresh whole green peas (in pods)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh mint leaves
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Place 1/2 cup of water and the salt in a large skillet. Squeeze juice from each lemon wedge into the pan, adding the used lemons as well. Bring water to a simmer over high heat, add the peas, and cover. Simmer until the peas are bright green, about 1 minute.
Remove the lid from the skillet, and continue to simmer 1 to 2 minutes until almost all the water has evaporated. Add the olive oil and garlic, and salt and pepper to taste; mix well to combine. Cook, stirring often, over high heat until the peas are completely cooked through, about 1 1/2 minutes. Remove the skillet from heat.
Add mint, and toss to combine. Transfer peas to a serving platter, and serve warm.