Fennel-and-Apple Salad with Goat Cheese
This fresh and crunchy salad feeds a crowd.
- Servings: 10
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 1997
- 2 medium fennel bulbs (2 1/4 pounds total)
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed, strung with a vegetable peeler
- 1 Fuji apple
- 2 lemons
- 3/4 cup dried apricots, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup unsalted pistachios, coarsely chopped, plus 1 tablespoon for garnish
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 four-ounce log fresh goat cheese
Trim tops and bottoms of fennels; peel outer layer. Slice lengthwise as thinly as possible. Transfer to large bowl. Cut celery on diagonal into very thin slices; add to bowl. Quarter and core unpeeled apple. Cut each quarter lengthwise into very thin slices. Place in small bowl; squeeze juice from one lemon over apples; toss. Add to fennel. Add apricots and 1/4 cup chopped nuts to fennel.
Squeeze remaining lemon over salad. Drizzle with oil, salt, and pepper; toss. Transfer to serving bowl. Crumble goat cheese over top; sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon nuts.