Pumpkin Spice Butter
This sweet, fall-flavored butter is a treat at breakfast on toast or muffins.
- Yield: Makes 2 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 1999
- 1 two-pound sugar pumpkin, seeded, peeled, and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, strained
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place pumpkin in a roasting pan, and cover tightly with foil. Bake until pumpkin is very tender, about 45 minutes. Transfer pumpkin pieces to the bowl of a food processor, and process until smooth.
Place pureed pumpkin into a medium saucepan, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until very thick, about 25 minutes. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and lemon juice; cook until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Cool and serve, or store in the refrigerator up to 1 week.