A healthy variation on classic pizza is topped with ricotta, roasted pepper, garlic shallots, anchovy fillets, and artichoke hearts.
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 1999
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 package dry active yeast
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 7 large shallots (12 ounces), peeled and sliced into rings
- 4 anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drained and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons (1/2 ounce) finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Olive-oil cooking spray
Place red pepper over gas flame or under broiler; roast, turning as needed, until charred on all sides. Remove from heat, and place in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap for about 10 minutes. Using a paper towel, remove charred skin. Remove stem and seeds, cut into 3/4-inch pieces, and set aside.
Place a pizza stone in the oven; heat to 400 degrees. Place 3/4 cup warm water in a medium bowl; sprinkle with yeast. Allow to sit until yeast begins to foam, about 5 minutes. Add 2 cups flour, salt, and black pepper; work with your hands to form dough. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap; set aside.
Heat a large saute pan coated with olive-oil cooking spray over medium-low heat. Add garlic and shallots; cover. Saute until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add anchovy fillets; cook about 2 minutes. Add artichokes; cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Stir in thyme and reserved red pepper; remove from heat. Place ricotta in a bowl; stir in parsley.
Divide dough into three pieces. Cover two with plastic wrap; set aside. Place the third piece on a clean work surface dusted with 1 tablespoon flour. Roll dough out to a 6-by-12-inch rectangle. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon cornmeal on a pizzapeel; place rolled dough on top. Arrange one-third of artichoke mixture on dough; using one-third of the ricotta mixture, drop teaspoonsful onto dough. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Parmesan. Transfer to pizza stone; bake until dough is golden brown and crisp, about 10 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough and toppings. Serve.