Summer Shrimp Salad
Leaving shrimp whole makes the presentation of this salad especially beautiful; they can also be chopped and mixed in.
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 1999
- 18 jumbo shrimp (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and deveined
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh cilantro, plus sprigs for garnish
- 2 mangoes, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 cucumbers, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 small red onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 small jicama (about 3/4 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Olive-oil cooking spray
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place shrimp on a baking sheet coated with olive-oil cooking spray. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place in oven, and roast until opaque, about 8 minutes.
Zest limes; squeeze to yield 1/4 cup juice. Combine lime juice, zest, olive oil, cilantro, and remaining salt and pepper. In a bowl, combine 2 tablespoons lime dressing with shrimp; toss to coat. In a large bowl combine mangoes, cucumbers, red onion, jicama, and remaining lime dressing; toss to coat. Divide salad and shrimp among six bowls. Garnish with remaining cilantro sprigs, and serve.