Cranberry Bran Muffins
These are so easy and quick, you can bake them on a whim -- whenever you have a craving but not a lot of time. Orange zest and buttermilk give this recipe extra-special tang.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 1 dozen
Source: Martha Stewart Living, January 2004
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 11 tablespoons (1 3/8 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners; set aside. Place flour, bran, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl. Stir in sugar, and set aside.
Whisk together buttermilk, butter, eggs, zest, and vanilla in a bowl. Add flour mixture; stir until just combined. Stir in cranberries.
Divide batter among lined muffin cups. Bake until cooked through and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. Turn out; serve warm or at room temperature.