Mixed Mushroom Salad (Insalata Di Funghi Misti)
A platter of mushroom salad entices with layers of bright flavor -- sliced mushrooms (cremini, shiitake, or other types you enjoy), peppery arugula and bitter radicchio, and salty Parmesan.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2005
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, (about 2 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 6 cups thinly sliced mixed fresh mushrooms, such as cremini, shiitake, oyster, and button (about 1 pound)
- 2 bunches arugula (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 small head radicchio (about 8 ounces), thinly sliced
- 3 ounces Parmesan cheese, shaved with a vegetable peeler into 1-inch-thick strips
Whisk together lemon juice, herbs, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Whisk in oil. Reserve 1 tablespoon dressing; set aside. Toss the remaining dressing with the mushrooms in a large bowl; set aside.
Toss together arugula, radicchio, and reserved dressing. Arrange on a large platter. Top with the mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, and drizzle with oil. Season with pepper.