Shredded-Vegetable Burgers with Lime-Yogurt Sauce
Thin grilled naan creates a tasty pocket for a veggie burger with an Indian twist.
- Yield: Makes 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2005
- 1/2 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Coarse salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely shredded in a food processor (3/4 cup)
- 2 small golden beets, peeled and finely shredded in a food processor (3/4 cup)
- 1 small zucchini, finely shredded in a food processor and squeezed between paper towels to remove excess liquid (3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked long-grain brown rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups fine fresh breadcrumbs
- 6 pieces flatbread, such as naan
- Sliced tomatoes, for serving
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs, for garnish
Stir together yogurt, lime juice, and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Refrigerate sauce, covered, until ready to use.
Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and the pepper. Cook, stirring, until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in curry powder and ginger; cook 3 seconds more. Add carrot, beets, and zucchini; cook, stirring often, until vegetables are just tender, about 2 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes.
Pulse rice, chickpeas, and half of the vegetable mixture in a food processor until it forms a coarse paste. Transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in remaining vegetable mixture and the breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper.
Shape into 6 oval patties (about 4 inches long). Refrigerate, covered, until cold, about 30 minutes (or up to 3 hours).
Preheat grill to medium (if using a charcoal grill, coals are ready when you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill for just 5 to 6 seconds). Brush grill and burgers with oil. Grill burgers, flipping once, until charred and heated through, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
Grill bread, flipping once, until softened and lightly charred. Serve burgers on bread; top with tomato and reserved yogurt sauce. Garnish with parsley.