Asparagus and String Bean Salad with Basil
A bean salad with green beans, wax beans, and asparagus, is topped with pecorino vinaigrette.
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2005
- Coarse salt
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed
- 8 ounces yellow wax beans, trimmed
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup small fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely grated pecorino Romano cheese (3/4 ounce)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
Prepare an ice-water bath. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt. Cook green beans and wax beans until crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beans to ice-water bath. Drain; transfer to a large bowl.
Cook asparagus in boiling water until crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Transfer asparagus to the ice-water bath. Drain. Cut asparagus into 3-inch pieces; add to beans. Add shallot and basil.
Make vinaigrette: Whisk together vinegar, cheese, sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the oil in a medium bowl until sugar has dissolved. Season with pepper.
Add vinaigrette to vegetable mixture; toss. Refrigerate in an airtight container (or store in a chilled cooler) until ready to serve, up to 2 hours. Garnish with basil.