White Bean Salad with Carrots and Tomatoes
Our Mediterranean-style white bean salad is emboldened with red wine vinegar and thyme; pair it with a soft cheese and spicy, dried sausage.
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2005
- 1 cup dried white beans, such as navy
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Put beans into a large bowl; cover with water by 2 inches. Cover with plastic wrap. Let soak at room temperature 6 hours (or overnight). Drain; rinse.
Transfer beans to a medium saucepan; cover with cold water by 1 1/2 inches. Bring to a simmer. Cook, covered, until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain. Rinse with cold water, and let cool completely. Transfer to a bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 15 minutes.
Add carrots, onion, tomatoes, and parsley to beans; toss well. Whisk together vinegar, thyme, sugar, oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl until sugar has dissolved; season with pepper. Toss vinaigrette with bean mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate in an airtight container (or store in a chilled cooler) until ready to serve, up to 4 hours.